Friday, July 04, 2008

First time...

Okay, okay, I'm not going to blog something about Xavier's first mosquito bite or first smile. Rather, I'm going to blog about myself. FIRST DAY I CHANGE AND FOLD DIAPERS !!!!

It's not those "pampers", "huggies" or "mamypokai" in which you see at the tv ads, rather it's those plain cloth where we used to wear when we ourselves were infants. Initially I was wondering why the shape can be so odd - it's triangle in shape and at the middle it's like a pad. It's actually a square piece of cloth folded until like that - to be used as a diaper of course.

To fit the diaper onto the baby is not such a bit issue. I saw nurses as well as my mother in law doing it and instantly I get to go around with the technique. I get to wear the first diaper for my baby boy around 12pm today. It's nothing to be shout about because it's fairly easy (even the safety feature of the safety pin did not manage to elude me)

Just when I came back from work later, I saw some unfold clothings at the sofa of my in-laws house and hence I took the liberty to help my mother-in-law fold them. Just when I was about to fold Xavier' clothes, my mother-in-law came passing by and asked, "Eh ? You know how to fold a diaper ?". I was dumbfounded and look at her with a gaping mouth... "Errr... no ?", I replied while shaking my head.

She then proceed to demonstrate to me upon how to "bungkus" (pack) the square shaped cloth into those odd shape diaper in which I had used in the afternoon. It's quite interesting considering the fact that I kinda like origami when I was younger. Initially I was having difficulties because the cloth itself is not really like a piece of paper, you cant fold and keep them in shape that easily. What's more you now need to fold according to a certain size and thickness expectation so that the baby does not complains while wearing it... So I bit the bullet and despite promising myself, Michele and baby that I'll be the cool dad; I'll took the challenge ! It takes around 20 minutes to fold those mere 8 diapers but what the hell, at least at the end I managed to get it all done ! (Hopefully my son wont reject them tomorrow though... )

So there you go, first diaper change and first diaper fold lesson. I had also learned about preparing milk last Sunday and the cold and hot water quantities mixture. So what's next ? I'm like a young boy awaiting to learn new things everyday now !

No comments: