Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Hit the gym !

Ok, this initially had sounded like a bad idea. After about 5 years without proper exercise, God knows why suddenly I decided to hit the gym again. Perhaps it's a self realization that I'm not the young and energetic James and while getting a "one pack" ("One Barrel" is more likely) all these years had not been helpful at all. The Bali honeymoon pictures came back was initially quite cool - minus those topless scenes of yours truly from the beach. What's more, I had also vowed to be a "cool dad" and it's kinda awkward to be a flabby looking cool dad huh ?

And so I bite the bullet and kickstart this old engine of mine on Christmas eve with a new year's resolution to be on my 70s again (No, not the era thingy, it's the weight thingy !). My first visit to the Fitness First gym was like a child undergoing his first day of school. I had so many questions to ask but only a slump of meat to offer as sacrifice. The mixed up of membership and my missing receipts during registration process were not helpful as well.

After some confusion at the receptionist desk (Thankfully my wife were there to give me the sense of confidence as well) I was then being whisked away to the interrogation room and given some very hard questions. Why the heck do you join the gym ? Okay, so I wanna lose weight - everyone knows it (Heck, everyone WILL know when you put it up in the internet right ?). How much weight do I need to waste ? I dunno, 75 seems like a nice number, I'm born in 1975 and I think 75 is achievable. So 75kg would be it ! After a few more series of mind boggling questions, I was then asked to stand barefooted onto this miracle machine that can detect your body fats weight, water weight, metabolic rate and THE MAGIC NUMBER - amount of weight I should REALLY burn from my current weight.

So it seems that I had been carrying 8kg of excessive baggage beyond the mark of "average" in BMI all these while. Given an average workout of 3 times a week, I was told that I can actually shred 2kgs of meat over a month. A simple math from that equation would land me on my target in 4 months - provided I eat well, exercise well and cut off the indonmee, roti banjir and nasi lemak when my wife crave for it during her pregnancy. Sounds hard ? Erm... I THINK I will survive that...

------------------------

Today, the 26th of December had been my second day at the gym. I collapse back on my bed after the session of 2 repeated sets of full body weights, 3 different cardio machines, steam bath and sauna. A conclusion ? I'll continue on the gym life but I had also learned something - don't ever end up in the gym with an empty stomach or with MINOR food intake about 4 to 5 hours ago; if you do, a suggestion is to bring a body bag or a stretcher to the gym instead....

No comments: