Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Visit to Sintok 01-06-2005


Greetings from Sintok, a town that is quite close to the northern border of Malaysia. My destination this time is the northern university of Malaysia - UUM (Universiti Utara Malaysia)

This university is located in the state of Kedah. A state that is rated as the rice bowl of Malaysia, a lot of the land in the state had been used for rice plantations and when it's harvesting time, the scenary is wonderful (The plant would be yellowish in color and when the sun shines through it, it's like a bed of gold !). Anyway, the largest city in Kedah is Alor Setar - That's where the airport is though

This is the university compound. I've heard that the university had also covered quite a large area as there are a lot of land to spare. The university was officially launched by our former Prime Minister, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohd. For your information; our former PM also originated from Kedah.

This is the computer center - the place where I perform my presentation on that day. Well, it's taken in the evening hours - most of the IT staff had went home already (not as busy as the time I arrived earlier though)

This is the adjacent building to the Computer Center, translated as "Faculty of Quantitative Science". Beats me what they study inside there though... I'm just an IT guy...

After the presentation, we were taken to a visit to our partner's office. They are actually the computer hardware provider for the students in UUM. Of course they do research in my company's product as well..

After the meeting, we were invited to try out the "Cendol Pulut Buah" that is located just around the corner of their office. The famous cendol that is being served here comes with glutinous rice (pulut) and durian meat (the buah). However we choose to pass on the durian as we still need to board a plane back to KL and do not wish to be thrown out of the plane because of bad breath...

Ah... the cendol pulut buah... Minus the durian...

We took the last flight back to KL at 9:35pm and I'm back home, I must admit that I am never so happy to see my bed. Exhausted and satisfied about the trip but I had also learned something along - Never to make a day trip to anywhere far and remote (if possible).

No comments: