At around 6pm today, the furniture people came with my bed. Well, actually this is really the first time seeing the actual bed itself as I ordered it merely based on a catalog while I went for lunch at nearby McDonalds last weekend. It was a good buy though; the king size bed frame cost me RM990 while the King Koil matress is around RM1600, it also comes with 2 free pillows, 1 bolster and 1 bed sheet. I'd reckon that since a bed is going to be a resting place for me after a hard day work in the office - I think I should deserve something better for myself right ? (Overall I've heard that there are some people who paid RM3000 for a bed that gives out funny sound when you jump onto it)
Upon parking their lorry outside of the house, the furniture people came down with 2 big piece of cardboxes (6ft in length) that requires skillful manipulations to go up to my room. Why ? The staircase height is only around 5ft 10inch (Remember, it's less than 6ft). Good thing those 2 boxes were rectangle in shape hence it's considered a breeze to move it up because the height of the boxes are around 4ft only. Next, the matress; measuring at 6ft by 6.3ft. As we approached the staircase, we were already sweating and puzzled as how can this big guy fits through the gap that is less that the size of the width or height of it ? Since it's a matress, we fold it ! With my dad and myself go help the 2 poor chaps we finally managed to get the matress up to the room. (Boy, was I worried that the matress could not enter through the room's door !). Finally is the most challenging part of it; the bed frame that supports the matress - same size but it's not bend-able !
We tried turning upsize down, inside out, backside front and we never managed to get through the staircase... My dad even suggest to disassemble it and bring it up in pieces ! So after giving it some thought (and some dump and bright ideas as well), we finally decided to haul the bed frame through the balcony from the back of the house (through the washing area to the 2nd floor). While the 2 guys pushed the frame up from ground floor, I am supposed to lift the frame while leaning behind the pillars from the second floor. I nearly broke my finger when the whole frame stuck onto my hand while lifting it up ! Good thing those 2 chaps helped out just in time to get me out of that mess. I guess no one would wanna see a customer with broken fingers before they can sign your delivery order right ?
After all the parts are in place, the next step is the assembly portion of it. The manufacturer actually did not provide the assembly instructions to these guys at the furniture shop, what's worse is that these guys had never assemble such bed before ! There were stands and lots of screws, washers and nuts - while it also drives us nuts as well ! Finally, we took around 1 hour just to figure out which part goes onto where by just looking at the catalog diagram. Irony eh ? But heck, this is the final result, the whole operation took us merely 1 hour or so only - in which I considered as quite a good success. Yes, money can buy many things, but I'm sure it cant buy the dedication of the 4 of us (me, dad and the 2 person from the shop) to see the final result.

PS: I'm going to jump onto this big guy after this blog ! WOHOOO ! *Yawn...
No comments:
Post a Comment